Monday, December 2, 2013

Welcome to Brookstone

Hi, my name is Desu Imudia and I am 14 years old. I am currently in the 8th grade starting my 4th month here at Brookstone School. Yes, this is only my 4th month as an official Brookstone Cougar.

I recently moved from the state of Louisiana, down in New Orleans. I was just about ready to get  
Desu Imudia (right) with fellow teammate Molly Graham (left)
started with another day during the summer, preparing for school which was only just a few more weeks away. I had made plans with all my friends to carpool on the very first day of school, made sure to have my uniform pressed and ready, labeled all my binders and books, and even polished my brand new school shoes. I guess you can say I was pretty excited to enter that school.

But you know that predicament of when you studied so hard for that one test and you feel so confident about it, but as soon as that test gets put in front of you, you forget all the answers and your brain goes completely blank. Or when you apply for that one job and you are this close to getting it, but then the job position is no longer available.

Well, that is exactly how it went for me. Except for this situation, it had been a sweet dream being overrun by my mom’s opportunity. Don’t get me wrong, I was ecstatic for my mother and her new role as a professor at CSU, but I was upset because I  had to leave everything behind; switch gears. I was beyond frantic because not only were we moving to a new and foreign place, but we only had 2 weeks to do so.

The struggle was definitely real once my family settled in our new home. I just never felt like I would be able to feel comfortable here in Columbus. I was also dreading the fact that I had to attend a new school, with new people, and new ways of doing things. I was scared that I wouldn’t find new friends who would like me for me, or find teachers that would dedicate their time into helping me understand, or find a subject that would entice my way of learning, or even find a meal item that would satisfy my taste buds and health.

But, boy, was I completely and utterly wrong. From the minute I walked into Brookstone, I knew that I was brought here for a reason and that this school was beyond amazing. Of course, it took time for me to adjust and learn my routes but other than that, I was set for a fascinating journey.

Brookstone welcomed me with wide arms, open hearts, and open minds. The Brookstone community is one of the best places to be. The understanding and involvement are impeccable! 

I admire the academic standards that Brookstone holds. They are advanced and met to match your skill. Even when it may seem a bit tough, they want you to push yourself and try a little harder because they believe in you. They want you to succeed. But if it does seem to be frustrating, you are able to ask for help and communicate with your teachers.

Communication is another high point. It may seem embarrassing to ask for help from a teacher even though we know we need it. But it’s easier to interact with teachers and peers in Brookstone due to the homey atmosphere. Plus, we learn that the only way to succeed is by understanding, and if you don’t understand something then you need to ask for help.

There are also so many ways to be involved in the Brookstone community as well. From football to tennis to golf, Brookstone offers a wide variety of sports for you to choose from. Plus, athletics are a great way to not only get involved, but also meet new people. That’s how I became closer to a lot of my fellow classmates here at Brookstone as a member of the middle school volleyball team. This school takes great pride in their teams no matter if they win or lose. They support each team with a tremendous amount of devotion.

            I have learned to love this Brookstone community. I have become family in these past few months. I understand now why my parents chose Brookstone for me and my sibling to grow up in. I am very much grateful for the many doors and opportunities that Brookstone has opened for me and will open for me in due time. And I hope to see the same opportunities being opened for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment